Day 84

This morning, I finished the last question on my music test. Then I studied for French and also worked on updating my blog. Then I headed to the fountain between the Pompidou and the old gothic church to wait for the rest of the group. We went into the building that is right in front of the fountains. It is IRCAM. I don't remember what it stands for, but it is basically an electronic music place. We had a tour through it and it was pretty awesome! We also learned that they make noises too. That doesn't really make sense so I'll give you an example. When electronic cars were made, they didn't make any sound, which is bad because then pedestrians wouldn't know when the car was coming right at them in the dark. So a noise was created so that the electronic cars weren't silent. That noise was created in this building. Pretty cool. They also made the sound that the doors of electronic cars make. On to some pictures, yeah?IRCAM center. It is actually huge, but most of it is underground.
Shaina with the IRCAM center in the background.
Fountain and gothic church (I went to that church for two concerts - the piano one and the modern one).



Side of the Pompidou.
Inside the chimney thing at IRCAM. It is actually for birds.
Some birds inside of it.
hehe :)
One of the recording rooms along with our guide.
Then we went into an anechoic room!


It was so cool. It absorbs all sounds so there is no echo at all. We went in there and we screamed, but it hardly made any sound at all. Pretty crazy. The guide said that if anyone stays in this room for longer than half an hour, they will lose their balance because our ears need echos in order to create balance. She also said that if someone is in this room for a day, they will literally go crazy. Really cool. Not that going crazy is cool. Anyway.
This is the concert room. It is versatile. It can move around however they want and the seating can be put wherever they want. Awesome.
This picture shows what the glass looks like from the outside. It just reflects and you can't see the room underneath at all.
And this is what it looks like from underneath. Very clear glass. Pretty awesome.

Après ca, we all headed to the Ricks place for FHE. We went around and talked about the things we have learned while being here in Paris. I said something pretty good, but I've been thinking about it more and more. I honestly think the most important thing I've learned here in Paris is how to live. I am so grateful I got involved with those in the ward because it is because of them that I learned this concept. The process began during last semester. I learned that the most important part of education is learning, NOT the grade. While I've been here, my learning has progressed even farther. I feel like I will be able to reach out more to people. Last semester, the thought of sitting next to people in class and striking up a conversation with them scared me to death and I never did it. At this moment, I not only feel like I could do it, I want to do it. I'm excited to try it. Being book-smart is still important to me, but living is becoming even more so. I really don't want to lose this new idea that has become a part of me while I've been here in Paris, which is why I am writing it out. I must never forget what I have learned here.

Also during FHE, we each got a lock. On this lock, we put our names and whatever else we wanted.

I didn't write very well on the back. Oh well.

After we finished up with that, we went out to dinner. I can't remember what the restaurant was, but it was really good! I had fried duck with potatoes. The duck was very good. It mostly tasted like chicken, but perhaps a little bit better. The potatoes were really interesting because they were sweet. For dessert, I got myself some creme brulee. Oh how I will miss that wonderful bit of heaven.

After we finished up at dinner, some of us went and put our locks on the bridge.

Hanna, Max, and Laura walking to the bridge.

Mine, Hanna's, and Shaina's
With the Ricks' (the big lock with the two locks on it for Max and Jack) and some other people in our group.
Our locks are between 23 and 24, so when I come back in 10 years, I can find mine. We then preceeded to throw the keys to our locks into the Seine. The reason for this is so the lock can never be opened and a piece of you is always in Paris. Well, as great as that is, I decided to keep mine so I can be connected with my lock. So I can always be connected to the piece of me that is in Paris. Make sense?

Then Rebecca, Hanna, and I headed to YSAFHE. It was really fun, as usual. I mostly just hung out with Kyle, Carter, and Hanna. Rebecca and Miro were off in their own little world and Ed was talking with his other 'guests.' I am going to miss the ward a lot. But the great thing is that the people who I have become closest to are actually from Utah! So I will get to see them again. And for those of them who are from France, I'll see them in two months time. It has been a crazy ride here and I've loved every minute.

À demain.

Comments

Rachel said…
So do alot of people put locks on the bridge? They wouldn't go through and cut them off would they. That seems like such a fun idea. I love it. And I agree with what you learned, that learning is important and that you have reached out and are learning to talk to people. Good for you! Love you Ariel!

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Benji

Day 54 - Dernier Jour

Day 55 - Home