Day 4 - Incredible Day-trip

We left bright and early this morning for a day-trip out of Athens. The first place we stopped was the Daphne monastery. This is the only place where I have every liked scaffolding. Not the scaffolding on the outside, but on the inside. A few years back, there was a really terrible earthquake and it damaged the church significantly. They have been working on putting it back together since that time. As part of this restoration process, the inside is entirely covered with scaffolding. Very recently, they have been allowing people to climb up the scaffolding and see the amazing mosaics up close. And this is why I am thankful for this particular scaffolding. Because of it, I was able to see the mosaic in the dome with such detail that could never be picked out from below. And also the mosaics all around. Pretty incredible. We couldn't take pictures, but just know that I saw every piece of glass and how carefully they were arranged to create these mosaics. Amazing!

According to myth, Daphne was a very beautiful nymph. One time, Apollo was chasing after her and the goddesses turned her into a laurel tree before he reached her. The Greeks believed that this event happened here and this is the tree to prove it ;)
Then we explored behind the monastery.



Then off to a Mycenaen citadel, the King's residence. I am glad we changed our plans and came here. It is incredible.

Lion's Gate!








Back entrance.
These walls are massively thick!
This valley was chosen because it was so fertile.
Just finished with the citadel.
A tholos. I believe that it is called the Tomb of Agamemnon.


Pretty huge for a burial chamber.
The room is under that hill. You can't even tell really.
We found some puppies :) Don't worry, they are alive. They are just tired and hot.
Treasury of Atheis, another tholos.
People lived in here during the 19th century, which is why it is black today. Guess they didn't see the other one.

Then we went to Nafplio, what is considered to be the most beautiful city in Greece.


It is so cute!
We got some legit Greek food here. So legit that I don't even know what it was called! But it was so delicious.
Theater of Epidarus. Can I say incredible again?

It could hold about 3000 people.
The acoustics are great so people like to perform in the center.

Then back on the bus for a drive that would last a couple of hours. I tried to sleep, but I just couldn't get very comfortable since I didn't have the luxury of a seat by myself. Good thing is, I only got a little bit sick. Instead of being nauseous, I have a huge headache. Hey, I'll take it :) New, and undoubtedly crazy, day tomorrow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Benji

Day 54 - Dernier Jour

Day 55 - Home