Day 20 - Glass in Murano

Today was a really good day. It didn't even rain very much. We (Tabitha, Elisabeth, Shamra, and I) decided to go to the Glass factory, which is on the island of Murano, very close to Venice. We took a cheap ferry ride over there.

To the factory for a glass-blowing demonstration.




Putting little pieces of glass on it.

It is hard to tell, but he is actually spinning the stick around at this point.
Blowing it up like a balloon. Except for it is melted glass. Heated to 700 degrees F.



We searched around for food and a bathroom for a while and finally found this place. It was in a very quiet, almost ghost-like part of town. But when we sat down, we were able to get a view of the locals. It was really fun. And tasty :) We walked around for a bit more because this island is so beautiful.
For Melodie :)



On the ferry back to Venice, where we walked around some more and visited some churches.
Saints John and Paul.


Santa Maria Formosa. Pictures were not allowed inside.

We wandered back to San Marco's Square, where I saw my brother Andy. Okay, not really, but I found his twin.
That guy in green looked exactly like him. So much that I was on the verge of actually considering that my brother was in Venice. I was so pre-occupied that I missed (I found this out later) JOHNNY DEPP! You see how that guy is taking a picture? Well, they were shooting a movie right in front of me and he was taking of picture of Johnny Depp. I didn't even turn my head. Just a tad frustrating. I will never be able to watch a movie with Johnny Depp in it without thinking of this moment of stupidity! But that's okay. At least it wasn't Hugh Jackman.

Then we headed to get some dinner. While we were there, the heavens opened and sent not only torrents of rain, but also hail.
This picture does not even do it justice. We waited it out for a while, and once it got just a little bit better, we ran to the hotel. We picked up our stuff, then headed to the train station and onto our overnight train to Vienna.
Six beds crammed into a tiny tiny space. Ciera is not amused.
Top-bunk buddy :)

Well, I hope all goes well tonight on my first overnight train.

Comments

Rachel said…
They seriously had six beds in there? I would have to be on top. I would be afraid that they would collapse or something. How was it did you enjoy it?

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Benji

Day 54 - Dernier Jour

Day 55 - Home