Day 18 - Getting soaked in Venice

Packed up for Venice this morning and then headed out. It amazes me how fast it is to pack up everything that I have. After a semi-long train ride, we made it to the city of water. When we were pulling into the station, we were surrounded by water. Venice is an awesome, and very unique, city. After settling into the hotel, a few of us went to find food. It was fun to wander around, even though it was pouring rain and I forgot to bring my umbrella :)

My favorite part about this city is that there are no cars or motorcycles or even bikes. It is so quiet and nice. After getting a rolled pizza, we met back up with the group and had class. We went to San Marco first.






The only picture I could get of the inside. It was really incredible. Filled with beautiful mosaics. I liked it.
The Tetrarchs. They are a lot smaller than I expected them to be.


Doge's Palace.

Then we went to a church, Santa maria gloriosa dei frari.


No pictures on the inside.

Then he let us go. We wandered for a bit, but not for too long because of the rain.
We went back to the hotel for a while to dry off. Elisabeth and I needed to get to the store to buy food, but we wanted to wait until the rain stopped. Only it never did, so we went out anyway with my breaking umbrella. It is interesting to see that the prices are a bit higher here in Venice. Mark said it is because everyone keeps leaving Venice to find better jobs and this is causing them to struggle economically. Also interesting is that the gelato is cheaper. Go figure.

Comments

Emily Peterson said…
Beautiful Venice! I love the pictures down the canals with the buildings towering on each side!

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Benji

I'm engaged!

Day 55 - Home