Oakridge Friends

My Favorite Things #9/365

This last semester in Seminary, I had the privilege to work with the Oakridge kids. These kids are those who are too mentally disabled to function in mainstream classes. I love them! They have the purest spirits. Though it was difficult each day to talk to them and very little response back, it was worth it!

This is Jessica McEntire. She is awesome! Some days, she would burst into song. Occasionally you can recognize the tune of what she was singing (like Frosty the Snowman and Camptown Ladies), but most of the time, it was completely nonsensical. Still, it was beautiful :) She really is amazing. She never talked back, but when I talked to her, she would just stare at me with her beautiful blue eyes and smile. I know she understood everything I told her, probably better than I did.

It was her 21st Birthday the day I took this picture. She loved having us sing to her.

This is Danielle. One word to describe her would be stubborn. It was very difficult to get her from Oakridge to the Seminary building. Only Cheetos got her there. She never seemed to listen to a word I said and only looked at me directly once or twice in the semester. But something cool about Danielle is that she knows who the Savior is. We had a book filled with various Church pictures. One picture was of Christ in Gethsemane. She would always stop at the picture for a few minutes and just look at Him. She has an amazing testimony even though she cannot express it in words!

Comments

What a great experience for you and the Oakridge students!

Is this what you're doing with Aarynn and Lily this summer?
Ariel said…
Yes this will be the class we'll go to. Do you think they'd like it?
I think they'll have a lot of fun. They may be shy and unsure at first, but I am sure they will come to love these special people as much as you do!
Sara said…
You are an amazing example Ariel! What a great experience for you!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Day 54 - Dernier Jour

Baby Benji

Day 55 - Home