Day 36 - Class, frustration, and weird food :)

French and Music were fine today. Between classes, I got some lunch. I went to Eds (a very small grocery store) to grab a cheap sandwich. I wanted a ham one, but they were out, so I got one that looked like it had sausage in it. Turns out, I didn't like it very much. I ate half of it and I didn't know what to do with the other half. Everyone else had already eaten and didn't want it. Well, there is the homeless guy, Mikey I think, who likes to chill in the institute and talk with us. Not everyone likes him because he isn't able to shower but I think he's really nice and interesting and he speaks English. So I decided to offer my sandwich to him. I didn't know if he'd want it or not, but when I asked him, he readily accepted it and started eating it. I feel like I did the good deed I was wanting to do yesterday :) After Music 101, I went to La Poste. I really wanted someone to come with me, but no one wanted to. So I went by myself. I was really nervous. I hate it when French people make me feel stupid, which they always do, without fail. I couldn't explain my situation in French, so I did it in English (after I asked him if he spoke it, which he said he did). After I explained it, he said there was nothing he could do. Argh. It was very frustrating. I really want my book back. I know what you are thinking, What does she have to complain about, she's in Paris! I know I am extremely fortunate to be here and I am very grateful, but just because I am in a foreign country doesn't mean that life stops having trials! haha I just hope that something can get figured out about my book. After that ordeal, I headed back to my place. Earlier I was snacking on something kind of strange. I bought some cream cheese with herbs spread yesterday to eat with a baguette. Well, I didn't finish it but I need to soon because it won't stay good for very long. But I don't have any spare baguettes in my room, believe it or not. What I do have is a package of long madeleines. For those of you who don't know what these are, they are basically a sweet bread. I thought I might as well try them together. I actually really like it. You get the salty, herby taste of the spread first, then the sweetness of the madeleine comes through. My taste buds must be strange, but I like it :)
Dinner was great tonight. Pumpkin soup and meat/egg crepes. Yum. I realized during dinner that I really like every aspect of the french language except one. I like to read it, I like the grammar, I'm okay with writing it, I like to listen to it. I just hate to speak it. I think it is because I don't like to mess up and I know absolutely that I would. Maybe I should take a French grammar class :) Well, I'm off to do mon devoirs.

Comments

How frustrating it must be to not be able to find anyone who can help you find your book! I hope it turns up. I think the herb cream cheese with the sweet bread sounds pretty good, and pumpkin soup sounds soooo yummy!

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Benji

Getting ready for Aarynn and Lily

Day 55 - Home